The Art of Distraction
Using Multi-Screening to Your Advantage

Anggra Tidayoh
Media and Digital Associate Director
Millward Brown
Anggra.Tidayoh@millwardbrown.com


The surge in ownership of smartphones and tablets in Indonesia means consumers are using several screens at once. While this can make it more difficult to win consumers’ attention, it also provides brands with new opportunities to make better, stronger connections.

Millward Brown AdReaction research among smartphone and tablet owners shows that Indonesians accumulate nine hours of screen time a day on average – the highest rate in the world. They spend three hours a day on a smartphone, two hours watching TV, 1.9 hours on a laptop, and 1.8 hours on a tablet, with many of these hours overlapping one another. They use several devices at the same time for over six hours a day.

When we narrow the focus to look at times when people use multiple screens at once, we find that 60 percent are looking at content unrelated to what they’re watching on TV; we call this ‘stacking’ content. The other 40 percent, however, are doing what we call ‘meshing’, that is looking up or discussing content of the TV programming or advertising that they are watching on the bigger screen. This equates to over an hour each day spent meshing.

The implication of this for advertisers is that, rather than trying to stop people from being distracted by their second or even third screens, they should provide relevant content in formats that suit different screens, and encourage consumers to move from one to the other. Multiple screens can be used to build and develop a brand message. For these distracted, multi-screening consumers, the best and most effective content needs to be consistent, connected, considered, and concise.

BrandZ Indonesia Top 50 2015

BrandZ Indonesian 2015 Report Top 50 Report

Top 50 Chart

Top 50 Infographic

Economy & Demographics Infographic


Methodology and valuation by Millward Brown


Contact Us

Share